1. JOB DESCRIPTION
Under limited supervision, the Media Relations Officer (MRO) shall represent GNAPS on external media sources and provide high-level communications on behalf of executive leadership. He/she shall execute a variety of institution-wide communications and media relations initiatives designed to enhance GNAPS’s ties with its internal and external publics. Moreover, the MRO is expected to produce and disseminate information in accordance with GNAPS goals, objectives and priorities, under the direction of GNAPS leadership. In doing so, he/she must work in a collaborative environment to provide accurate information on sensitive, confidential and high-impact communications which is relevant to the Association.
2. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The successful candidate shall perform the following responsibilities:
- Manage day-to-day relations with the media, including handling media queries, media interviews, and press conferences; preparing news releases and media kits, and promoting story lines, while deferring to GNAPS leadership, information that is highly sensitive, complex or delicate;
- Provide direct and proactive advice, consultation and assistance to leadership of the Association on issues related to public relations, advocacy, social and mainstream media and marketing of GNAPS as a brand;
- Cultivate and maintain knowledge of and relationships with key news media at district/zonal, regional and national levels to ensure the Association’s reputation is promoted and to deflect criticisms;
- Respond to and follow through on requests for information from the media and the public, determining appropriate, accurate responses and appropriate GNAPS contacts for responses; collaborates with the GNAPS Administrator to respond to requests for information in compliance with statutory laws of Ghana;
- Support effective response strategies, including responses to crisis situations requiring 24/7 attention and intense media/public scrutiny, and articulates GNAPS position via personal interviews and written responses;
- Plan and disseminate internal and external communication of information through various media that is designed to keep the public informed of GNAPS programmes, accomplishments or points of view;
- Write, edit, review and assure appropriate distribution of communication/public relations materials that have a GNAPS-wide impact including news releases, articles, speeches, on-line information services, and broadcast scripts; may oversee productions and publication of communication/publication of relations materials and related communication;
- Gather, write, edit, coordinate and upload information for/to the website; may assist with the design of consistent methodologies for the development of internet/intranet and new emerging technological communication resources;
- Lead or guide the work of a collaborative communication team as appropriate; and
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
3. MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
Diploma in Journalism, communications, or other related fields, with at least three (3) years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified; or Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, communications, or other related fields, with at least two (2) years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
4. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Ability to use independent judgment to gather, manage and impart information to the media and various other internal and external audiences.
- Experience communicating with the press and other media.
- Strong knowledge of local and regional media contacts and/or a proven ability to develop such relationships quickly.
- Advanced writing, communication, and presentation skills, to include ability to communicate effectively on-camera.
- Ability to provide effective advice and counsel on strategic and/or critical communication issues and to exercise effective judgment.
- Ability to write executive-level communications for internal and external audiences.
- Knowledge of national laws, regulations and standards for the management and disclosure of public information.
- Knowledge of journalism, public relations and general communications principles and practices.
- Knowledge of electronic communications applications, including internet content management systems and on-line/social media distribution channels.
- Basic knowledge of photography and the use of digital cameras.
- Demonstrate ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to communicate verbally and effectively in the English Language and at least two major Ghanaian languages.
5. CONTRACT PERIOD: One year, but subject to renewal based on positive evaluation of performance.
6. REMUNERATION: Attractive and negotiable based on qualification and experience.
7. MODE OF APPLICATION: Applicants may send their curriculum vitae and cover letters via the following WhatsApp numbers: 0244389485 and 0558091488. Deadline for receipt of applications: 20th June, 2022
DR. DAMASUS TUUROSONG